Sunday, June 17, 2012

The Burden of Love

Started out a mustard seed
Small and strong in spice
Just enough to pump a heart
Make it skip a beat
Lose some sleep
Time has taken a quantum leap
And now my love is this
Enormous heap
A mound of coal
Weighing heavy
Heavier on my soul
I've been enamored
Infatuated
Blissed
Other days a total mess
My love is a wheelbarrow's load
A mule's bent back
An oxen's yoke
This passion of mine
Has become a burden
I can't unload
A heave
Or a hoe
Love keeps up with me
Wherever I go
Futile it seems I can't lose it
Misplace it
Or leave it there
On his porch
The front seat of his car
In a picture frame
Of hanging from the first
Bright star
He won't help me
Break this down
Into tangible, manageable, bearable charms
My love is a burden
Once a mustard seed strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment